- I originally started writing it in a B and B in London during a cold winter.
- The pub is loosely based on the Castle in Castleton, Derbyshire. The roof skylight was in the room and the view from the window was of a fort ruin rather than a railway station.
- Terry the Landlord is based on the Chef at a roadside cafe I frequented when Brett and I went on random days out in Wales. Yes he was that impossibly cheerful.
- The train station is based on one just outside Whitchurch which does seem to be in the middle of nowhere
- I can’t recall if Murray and Price are named after anyone, but they do share their names with leads from The Navy Lark.
- Inspector Dean is named after the actor Ivor Dean who played Inspector Teal and Inspector Large in The Saint and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
- Marston Plummer is an in joke to Sexton Blake